Carpet Care & Maintenance
Carpet for your home can be an incredibly beautiful, fashionable, comfortable, and a durable option, even in high-traffic areas. To extend the life of your carpets and keep them looking and feeling great, apply these simple maintenance tips:
- Install a quality carpet cushion: Choosing the right carpet cushion not only feels better underfoot but can extend the life of your carpet and make it more resilient. Some cushions can extend the warranty on some carpets. Some carpets carry warranties with specific density and thickness requirements, so be sure to review your warranty before buying your carpet cushion. At ReNew our expert sales staff can help you choose the right cushion.
- Vacuum frequently with a recommended vacuum: One of the most important steps in caring for your carpet is to vacuum frequently. Vacuuming not only keeps your home clean but prolongs the life of your carpet. Soil particles, the kind vacuuming removes, are abrasive and can scratch and wear away carpet fibers over time. Because vacuuming is such an important part of extending the life of your carpet, be sure to select a high-quality vacuum. The Carpet and Rug Institute offers a seal of approval for vacuum cleaners. Ask your sales representative for a recommendation and details can be found at www.carpet-rug.org.
- Strategically place walking mats: Walk-off mats placed outside all entrances into your home will help absorb soil and moisture. Mats trap dirt, sand, and even oily residue that might otherwise be tracked into your home. Be sure to clean mats on a regular basis so they don’t become sources of soil themselves.
- Rearrange Furniture: Occasionally moving your furniture not only refreshes your room but preserves the life of your carpet by reducing excessive pile crushing under the furniture. It also potentially changes the room’s traffic patterns. This reroutes foot-traffic and ensures even wearing of all carpet sections over time.
- Protect your carpet: Consider placing carpet protectors under the legs of tables, chairs, and other heavy furniture to help distribute the weight and reduce pile crushing. For furniture with rollers or casters, use protective pads designed specifically for carpet. And when moving heavy, wheeled furniture (pianos, buffets, etc.), prevent damage with a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood placed between the furniture wheels and the carpet.
- Reduce periods of direct sunlight: If your room has a lot of direct sunlight, you’ll want to consider blinds, shades, or awnings to help protect your carpet from fading and prolong its life.
- Professional Cleaning: In addition to frequent vacuuming, it’s important to have your carpet professionally cleaned on a regular basis. Cleaning systems target the soils that result from cooking vapors, air pollution, and tracked-in dirt. The particles of oily soil deposited on carpet fibers can gradually dull the color of your carpet; the color isn’t lost but is hidden under the film. Research indicates that hot water extraction provides the most thorough cleaning. The process involves applying a cleaning agent to the carpet and using water in an extractor to remove the used solution and soil. Some manufacturers warranties insist on hot water extraction only with no soaps or chemicals in order to maintain the warranty. The also require this type of cleaning at certain intervals like every 18 months, etc.
With these few simple tips, you’ll be able to keep your carpet looking beautiful for many years to come.